Roaring Fork Cycling’s Pinnacle MTB is a top-tier program for high school and elite-level junior xc racers. In its first two years, this junior team has established itself as a cutting–edge xc program, located in the Roaring Fork Valley of Colorado. We achieve these results via an optimized combination of group training rides and private, elite-level coaching.
The program is designed for high school-aged riders that want to pursue xc racing at their highest level. During spring, summer, and fall, the Pinnacle MTB team will train for and compete in xc and marathon xc events in CO and throughout the US. We are excited to announce that the 2022 Pinnacle program will see several upgrades, including:
- The addition of three, noteworthy assistant coaches (see below);
- Access to more terrain in the Roaring Fork Valley and western Colorado, including CMC Spring Valley, Lunch Loops, and Fruita area trails;
- Options to choose between two teams, Race team or High School (HS) team; The intent is to provide programs that fit the varying needs and desires of our participants. Athletes’ goals range from those aspiring to compete as World Cup racers to those riders motivated by the challenging group rides, but don’t want to commit to a more rigorous, full-time training program.
Scott Leonard, our 2022 head coach, and program director is an ex–pro-level marathon xc racer and an elite-level Master’s racer. He has 9 years of experience as an elite-level private coach, 5 of those years coaching the Aspen- Basalt high school teams. In 2020, Scott co-founded the Pinnacle program. This year, Scott will be assisted by Simi Hamilton, Mike Sampson, and Cooper Shanks.
- Simi is an Aspen native, 3X Olympian, Nordic skiing World Cup winner, and a pro-level MTB racer.
- Mike is a current top-level pro-Enduro racer, has World Cup xc experience. Mike is returning for his second year as a Pinnacle MTB assistant coach.
- Cooper is a current pro road and gravel racer and has extensive knowledge of high-level training and racing.
These coaches have the ability to ride at the front with the best juniors and supply significant, nuanced, and elite knowledge to the program. We believe that the Pinnacle has, arguably, the best coaching staff of any junior program in North America.
The program commences in early February with TrainingPeaks (TP) prescribed indoor sessions and weather permitting Sunday group rides. A 3-day training camp is being planned for late March or early April in Fruita.
All training is prescribed, tracked, and analyzed with TrainingPeaks.